Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year!

Some firefighters love working on December 31 because the shift is almost guaranteed to be chock-full of alarms. Some do not enjoy working New Year's Eve, because a) they'd rather ring in the new year with loved ones, and/or b) running on people being drunk and stupid is only entertaining for so long. And "for so long" becomes a very short timespan at three in the morning...

I was always in the latter category. Don't get me wrong - there's a great deal of satisfaction in helping people who truly need assistance at any time of day or night. After all, that's what firefighters do. But once I gained enough seniority, I tried my best to be on vacation on New Year's Eve if our shift worked that day.

Whatever your celebratory plans, be safe out there, and I'll see you in 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment